Wednesday, May 2, 2012

She Walked - Mixed Media Canvas

I created this painting for an auction during a recent women's event. The scripture is from Psalm 23 which I helped my daughter memorize in March. (I helped her memorize it in the NLT, but I had it memorized in KJV. My poor brain kept getting confused. :) 



The painting references the Back to Life Walk started by women at my church: "On March 17 39 young women––each representing one year of legalized abortion in America–– set out to walk nearly 250 miles of open road for a 21-day trek from the nation's largest Planned Parenthood center, located in Houston, Texas, to the courthouse in Dallas where Roe v Wade was born. They left everything behind to embark on this symbolic journey depicting America's tragic path of abortion, taking a radical stand for life as they shared their personal stories of how abortion has impacted each of their lives." 


The red tape across the girls mouth symbolizes the Bound4Life movement. "Bound4LIFE is a pro-life organization. The key identifying element of the movement is a piece of red tape with the word “LIFE” handwritten on it that is worn over the mouth during prayer gatherings. “Taping their mouths shut” is a voluntary way of promoting prayer as opposed to vocal protest. In this context, prayer is described as an appeal to God as the Judge of heaven and earth. A major goal of the organization is to train and multiply the number of Christians that pray regularly for the ending of abortion."


The girl was created with pages from the first Bible I ever bought when I was 17. Her face and body were made from the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. When I was praying and considering what piece to make, this scripture came to my mind. “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did." John 4:29 

I don't always get to participate in the events so it made me happy to be able to contribute in my own way. 

dee2

6 comments:

Angel said...

Beautiful! I LOVE this! I came across your blog by accident :) I clicked "next" from my blog and it took me here.

I'll be back! Visit me when you get a chance, www.onesewingmommie.blogspot.com

Dianne said...

your canvas art is gorgeous, and positively love your mini albums!

Tammy E. said...

Wow, wow, wow. This is beautiful, and so cool! I love every element about it! Hope you and your family are doing well!

DeeDee said...

How fun! Thanks. :) I will check out your blog too. :)

DeeDee said...

Thank you. :)

DeeDee said...

Thanks Tammy. :) miss you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails