Friday, January 25, 2013

Maya Road Linen Valentine

It's a chilly Friday night *brr*, and my kids and I are still trying to get over varying degrees of the flu. I'm hoping February will bring much sweeter things to my life than this last bitter month. I'm embracing the softness of February.

With that in mind, I thought I'd share a sweet little Valentine I made recently. I love how completely feminine it turned out. My seven-year-old daughter made the perfect "oooh and ahh" noises when I showed her. :)

 I started with a Maya Road canvas heart, and I pulled out the stitching from about half of the heart to make a pocket.
 To the front I added some Maya Road sweet rosette trim that I inked up a bit, and a rosette flower I stitched together with a rusty chipboard lock in the center.
Here you can see what the linen heart looks like with the key and tag pulled out of the heart. To the back of the linen heart I added some crocheted trim, but I wish I'd added it between the pieces. I was originally going somewhere else with this, but you know how it is - sometimes the design leads itself.
 I used VerDay paints to add patina to the lock, and hand cut a little circle from inky old book paper to make the rosette center.
  The inside is stuffed with a Maya Road canvas heart tin which is covered in book paper, and lined with glitter. I stitched this jewel over the front of the heart. It keeps the tin in place, and I figured I could tuck something under it.
Here's a little close-up of the kraft tag and chipboard key tied up with dusty pink seam-binding and embellished with a little pink rhinestone.

If you're like me and you love Maya Road, and have lots of their supplies in your stash - here's a quick and easy valentine idea. 

Thanks for stopping by. :)

4 comments:

Norma Gomez said...

Awe...I love this, it's absolutely gorgeous!!

Sherri said...

Very sweet and soft. Lovely.

The Robins Nest OCrowley said...

Beautiful!

A SASSY SCRAPPER said...

Gorgeous little valentine Dee Dee!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails