Saturday, February 9, 2013

Handmade Bookmarks

My daughter celebrated turning seven this January. We had no less than five birthday celebrations - eep!

 Between school and church we went out to dinner. :)

 She was particularly excited about her turn to participate in the class tradition of getting a bracelet and a bookmark from her teacher. Her teacher's birthday was exactly one month later, and my daughter had the idea to hand-make her bookmarks. I set out to teach her the very basic mechanics of using my sewing machine, gave her access to the paper stash, and she was off! ;)

The pictures are a bit awful because I didn't remember until I was walking into the school to drop her off to take a pic..


Her teacher likes charlie brown so she made a little layer of his shirt, and then later added some stickers. Mostly this was fun because she was tickled pink about using the sewing machine. I let her practice straight lines on notebook paper first.

 We made this second one together. We cut the layers from cream and brown wool felt, and took the spine from an old book we bought together at a garage sale.
 Then we stitched the layers together, sewed some ribbons to the top, and I stitched on the button. :)


We tucked the bookmarks into a journal that we inked up a bit. Happiness- making pretty things and spending time with my sweet girl. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails