Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Handmade Wedding Veil and Hair Comb

I have a super special and fun project to share with you that I created recently. My friend, Amy, that I have known since I was a teenager got married recently and she asked me to stretch my creative limits and make her a wedding veil. I had thought about making one before. I have a touch of the mad hatter inside of me, but I always dread making something for a wedding because what if something goes wrong? Eek! But she was super sweet and chill and such a dear friend. Her brother was the best man in my wedding, and her mom took some of the only pictures I have from my wedding reception. I also have some of the sweetest memories of spending summer nights hanging out at their house reading a book listening while their family chatter swelled around me. Anyway, when she asked I couldn't say no! So I started digging through my supplies looking for something to match her stark white dress. I found some white tulle that I loved, a white velvet Maya Road flower, and some stamens left over from some long forgotten project, but that was about the extent of it. So that meant shopping! ;) I suffered through it. Haha.

This is what I came up with based off her initial description of what she was looking for - a layered silk flower with a beaded pearl center, vintage lace trim that I oh so carefully shaped with my fabric scissors, iridescent leaves, handmade tulle flowers, beaded stems. I then stitched Russian Tulle to the piece. Big and beautiful to go in her perfectly big and beautiful show stopping red hair. 
 I used my daughter's tiny head with the big curls quite a bit to try to get the sizing. There were a lot of threats "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" ;)

And here it is on the bride. These pics are shared by a mutual friend and photographer Stephanie Wilson Photography.


Don't you love the look in her eyes?
 
The next thing I found were these vintage velvet millinery flowers. They were pricey, but so beautiful, and I knew right away they'd make a beautiful hair piece. I combined the larger flowers onto a comb with a few of the smaller flowers peeking out like a spray. Here's the piece on the bride. :) 



Anyway, I totally cried at the wedding. I always do, but this time I also grabbed the surprised stranger next to me and squealed "OOOOOOOOh my goodness she's wearing the veil I made!"  I mean, talk about bad timing.. My bad! ;) It was so fun to be part of such a romantic experience. Thanks for taking a peek.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh my goodness, how pretty!! What a fabulous job you did and it's perfect on the bride.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails