Friday, April 11, 2014

How to Paint a Mason Jar

This month I hosted an Altered Mason Jar Swap at Artsy Fartsy. We had an odd number of participants so I decided I should get *two* partners and *two* jars! :) 

My first partner said she has a boho chic style and loves the colors fuschia and hot pink. 

I decided I wanted the jar to have a bit of a gypsy feel with a bronze lid and gold accented ribbon. 


I already knew I wanted to do a full painted jar as I've been seeing them pop up places, but had never tried painting on glass. Turns out, it was super easy. 


I, first, scrubbed the jar down with an alcohol wipe and then painted on three layers of acrylic paint, drying with a heat took between layers.

I then used a sanding tool to scratch the paint off the logo on the front of the jar - a surprisingly tricky step because you don't want to peel off too much paint. Use a fine sanding paper. 

Next, I sealed it with Mod Podge. Tip - don't use glossy! I forgot to check and it really threw off the look I was originally going for because the glass already gives it a sheen. 


I added layers of ribbon which I dry-brushed with the last of the paint on my brush. I tied it all of with a creamy button. 


The back of the jar has a tiny pink dream banner. The banner pieces are from Maya Road. I painted it with pink distress paint, dried it, and adhered to the chipboard to the jar using red tape. I used varying font stickers to give it a more eclectic feel.


Here's a sweet jar she and her little girls can use to store their wishes and dreams. Thanks for stopping by! 

DeeDee 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails